A quick FAQ on how to connect to your Pipe Ten shared hosting account and upload files using the web development application Dreamweaver.
Setting up your FTP details in Dreamweaver
1. Locate the FTP details you’ll need to connect to the server. These are:
1.1. FTP Username (This can be different or shorter than your control panel username).
1.2. FTP Password (This is by default the same as your control panel password but if modified will be different).
1.3. FTP Host name (This is the server/host name on which your account resides).
2. In Dreamweaver: Select Site > Manage Sites
3. Click New… > Site to set up a new site, or select a pre existing and click Edit…
4. Click Advanced Tab > Remote Info and complete the following:
4.1. Select FTP from the Access drop-down box
4.2. Fill in you FTP host with the host name gathered in step 1
4.3. The Host directory is usually you domain name (e.g dreamweaver.pipeten.co.uk) however leave that field blank for now
4.4. In the Login text box enter you FTP Username as gathered in step 1
4.5. In the Password text box, enter your FTP Password as gathered in step 1
4.6. Click Test to test your host name, host directory, FTP username and password.
Uploading pages to the server
1. Check the ‘Files’ menu within Dreamweaver is enabled. Window > Files (or pressing the F8 key).
2. Click the Expand to show local and remote sites.
3. Click the ‘Put File(s)’ arrow to upload your files to you remote host. They will then be uploaded to the location you defined when you setup the FTP settings.
4. Click the ‘Get File(s)’ arrow to download your files to your local host.
5. They will then be downloaded to your local website folder.
NOTE: These instructions are made for Dreamweaver CS4 on a Windows machine, they may differ from the version of Dreamweaver you are using. Further instructions such as connecting without a formal site definition can be found in the Dreamweaver manual.